Friday, October 29, 2010

Take me to the river........

As I sit and work on a purchase order today, the Talking Heads "Take Me to the River" begins to play on Sirius. I hate this song. I blame Billy Bass.



I cannot even guess how many times I've heard that stupid fish sing that song. Our former parts manager, Jim Reddin, had Billy propped up on the parts counter in our Westpark store. I wish I could describe what the parts department looked like and do it justice. If only I had taken more pictures of our former location. I described previously the old fashioned hardware store look of the store, but the parts department was really something.

The wall that was shared with our neighbor had been pushed forward in several areas as a result of their driving a forklift into the wall repeatedly. There were two giant hornets nests hanging from the ceiling. Each drawer had a number, and each part had a location. Jim had an index card system for tracking equipment sold to customers, even after we had added computers throughout the building. Oh yeah, did I mention that when I began working at Krebs there were only two computers in the building? There really wasn't a clear space on any flat surface, and in front of it all sat Billy Bass. Customers (and MK) could not resist that fish......and I hated it.

1 comment: