Thursday, October 14, 2010

Jill: 0/ Larkin: 4

Since my sister was upset that her name did not make the list of favorite things yesterday, I have decided to post a list of things that she had as a child that I always wanted......but never had.


1) Units Clothing.  If I remember correctly, Larkin's outfit was blue with a turquoise belt/sash.  I could be wrong about the color combo, but she'll correct me if so.  For those that don't remember, here is a picture (modeled by some girl we don't know) of the envied Units look:


Then I entered 8th grade, and Miss Mattes modeled daily the Units look.  Not wanting to dress like my teacher, I shifted my focus to things like Levis, turtlenecks and over-sized shirts from Forenza.

2) A pink "boom box".  I had grown tired of the Toshiba ghetto blaster that I received for Christmas in 4th grade.  Yes, I could listen to a tape from start to finish without taking the cassette out of the player, but it wasn't as pretty as the rounded one that Larkin.  It certainly didn't have the nice shoulder strap that hers did.




Mine looked more like this:

Not quite as girly, is it?  That's ok, though.  In 9th grade, I got a stereo system for Christmas.  It even had a record player!  Oh, and we ruined the miracle of Santa Claus for my sister Eve that year.

3)  A car.  True, she did have the 4.0gpa required for dad to restore a VW Beetle for us, but really??  I'm the oldest!  I was occasionally allowed to drive mom's Dodge Caravan (in color black cherry), and Larkin had her very own turquoise VW to drive around town.  While it's true that the Caravan allowed me to take more friends with me, it was not nearly as cool.
This image is almost the exact opposite of what Larkin's car ended up looking like when it finally left Kings Mountain Drive.  Her version started completely turquoise, and was  shipped off to VW Heaven with a silver hood and tail end from two separate accidents we had in it.  Honestly, I wouldn't mind having an older VW like this to drive around when the weather is nice.  They remind me of my childhood :)

I guess that's really about it.  Everything else we always seemed to get at the same time, or I did get first as the oldest.........

Oh wait, there is one more.  Larkin was allowed to have perms at several different points growing up.  I never had a perm.  I wish I had a picture to share of the exact haircut that Larkin had that I loved so much, but you'll just have to live without that image.  Instead, I was allowed to pick my own unfortunate haircuts.  Thank goodness I've outgrown the boy hair phase of my life!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the entire LG-centric post! Awesome.

    And, yes, the VW was pretty amazing. But you had parachute pants and jams. Hand-me-down parachute pants two years behind the curve and homemade jams really don't cut it. Love, LG

    ReplyDelete
  2. DANG! Larkin, maybe you missed it, but "my family" was listed on her original list of favorites. I always wanted a color belt like you BOTH got.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Were you also lucky enough to get hand me down hammer pants? ha!

    ReplyDelete