Friday, October 15, 2010

Eve the Peeve.



The above picture was taken on July 27, 1992.  Eve and I were sharing a bucket on the Sky Way in the Magic Kingdom with my dad.  This was when I was still taller than Eve.  I was about to begin my senior year in high school, and Eve was going into sixth grade.......the age MK is now. 

Hard to believe that it's been 18 years since this picture was taken.  It certainly doesn't seem like it's been that long.  I think that Eve is my only sister that I never shared a room with.  The house on Kings Mountain had 3 bedrooms and 2 baths..... That meant two girls shared one room, and the third got a room to herself.  How I got stuck with Larkin, and Eve got her own room is still not something I understand.  Something else I don't understand is how Larkin and I ended up with a room decorated in a geese motif.  How many fourth graders want a bedroom inspired by Country Living magazine?  Maybe there are a few, but this girl is NOT one of them.

Being six years apart, we had drastically different interests while growing up.  When I was in 9th grade, the New Kids were the biggest thing in music.  Eve purchased tickets for the entire family to go see the concert at Barton.  Where she got that money, I still don't know.   I remember taking her with me to Conway to see Mr. Happy at Satchaboogie Warehouse in 1994.  I'm still kind of amazed that my mom let me take her with me to a college show since she was only 13. 

There are two songs from this period of my life that remind me most of my sisters.  The first is Tom Petty's "Yer So Bad", and the second is from the Juliana Hatfield Three:



But our real adventure came in 2000.  I won a trip to NYC for Thanksgiving weekend on B98.5.  I remember the first time I heard the advertisement promoting the contest.  I knew I would win.  When I called Eve, I simply started with "would you like to go to New York?", and before I could continue she said yes.  I explained that our flight and hotel would be completely covered, and we would just have to be smart about everything else, but we were both super excited....and super broke.  Eve was 19.  I was 25 and very recently divorced.


We went to the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade, called home at noon from the top of the Empire State Building, saw sunset from the top of the World Trade Center.  Our Thanksgiving lunch was Italian food in Little Italy.  Our dinner was shrimp fried rice out of a to-go box while sitting in our hotel bed and trying to defrost.  It was an amazing trip.

For those of you that don't know, Eve is now happily married and expecting her first baby in January.  MK can't wait to have a cousin..... and Eve will have a babysitter when she's ready :)

Here's the most recent picture of my sweet sister that I stole from her blog.

6 comments:

  1. I think Eve won those NKOTB tickets. Sweet post. LG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh sis. This post has me all misty-eyed now! Such nice memories. And for the record, I think that the reason you and Larkin had to share a room was because you both loved geese decor so much and I was obviously into teddy bears. It just made sense. :) And, the way that I bought those New Kids tickets...Dad bet me $100 in a game of blackjack in an effort to teach me the dangers of gambling. I won. He paid up. We got to see the New Kids. Everyone wins! xoxo eve

    ReplyDelete
  3. Larkin, I won tix on KKYK to see the New Kids. I had totally forgotten about the matchstick blackjack. Too funny! Way to go, Eve!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "The house on Kings Mountain had 3 bedrooms and 2 baths..... That meant two girls shared one room, and the third got a room to herself."
    DID YOU FORGET THERE WAS AND IS A FOURTH SISTER?!

    other than that blinding slight to me, this blog post was precious and great. love, your-forgotten-baby-sis, noel

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, dear sister, but you were not around during the geese decor era. Your blog tine will come :)

    ReplyDelete