Wednesday, October 27, 2010

June 10, 2008

On June 10, 2008, I went to see the Indigo Girls in concert with Brandi Carlile as the opening act. At the time of the show, I was not very familiar with Brandi Carlile. I had fallen in love with her song "The Story", but had yet to really be pulled in by her other songs. I wasn't yet the fan I am today.



When we planned for the show, I ordered tickets for the couples that indicated that they were on board.....by the time the show came around, it was down to one couple and several girls. We met at Crush Wine Bar for meat and cheese plates and a few glasses of wine before the show. It was the perfect happy hour beginning to our girl's night out.

I was so excited about seeing the Indigo Girls. I have loved their music since high school. "Closer to Fine" and "Secure Yourself" were almost always used at some point during Search weekends, and "Kid Fears" had Michael Stipe singing backup. What wasn't to love? Oh, have I mentioned that I was also completely obsessed with Michael Stipe when I was in high school..... perhaps college too? Yeah, just a little bit. I think I was over that when I saw him live at the Pyramid in Memphis wearing a basketball jersey as a skirt.

Anyway, we get to Robinson and Brandi takes the stage. I've gotta say that she completely blew me away. When she stepped away from the microphone to sing "How These Days", I was amazed at how well her voice carried to the back of the room. Her entire set was great, and at times Amy and Emily would come out to join her.

Finally, the Indigo Girls took the stage. They played a lot of music from their newer cds that I wasn't as familiar with, but they didn't forget any of my favorites. Singing along to songs that I had loved since I was 14, I was having the time of my life........

We left after they said "Thank you! Goodnight!"......only to miss the encore performance of "Galileo". I was so thankful to January for calling me to let me hear it through the phone. What a great song!



I still love the Indigo Girls. Their debut album will probably be in my top ten favorite albums forever, and "Swamp Ophelia" was probably the most played cd I owned in 1994.....BUT Brandi Carlile remains in regular rotation in my cd player as well. Check her out if you haven't yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment