Friday, April 15, 2011

The wind began to switch.....

So, last night was my first Italian class. It was a lot of fun, and I'm thankful for my limited Spanish background which seems to make Italian words a bit easier to understand when not in sentences. Ha! Looking forward to seeing how much I can actually learn from this Dutch man that grew up in Italy.
A picture my dad took of the back of my house earlier this morning.


We woke up around 2am with the sound of glass shattering and what sounded like constant thunder and lots of wind. I got mk and Sadie into the hall bath immediately. We had no power, and I couldn't find any good weather updates on my iPhone. Thank goodness for so many friends and Facebook to keep me updated! When we could only hear rain, I ventured out of the bathroom to see where the broken glass was. I was cursing myself for not having a flashlight. I had to use a tealight candle and my phone to inspect things. I couldn't find the glass, but was a bit freaked out when I looked out my back door. It looked like someone was standing there. I opened the door to find a giant piece of a pine tree and fallen onto my run room.

I did finally locate the broken glass. The storm window in Mks room had shattered. So much better than it could have been. Mt neighbors were not all as lucky as me. Helen (Dorothy) was probably hit the worst with the pine tree going through her roof and destroying her porch. Two doors down, another neighbor has part of a pine in his living room. Two doors down from there, a GMC Jimmy was totaled by two pines falling onto it. My next door neighbor on one side has three pines on top of her house, and the other one had her storage building blown to bits. Why couldn't that have been my storage building. That thing NEEDS to be destroyed!

Thankfully, we are fine and the damage is minimal. The main power lines are down in the middle of Markham. They have to replace it, so currently the area next to my street is shutdown. Every house on myblock has lines down in their yards, so I have no idea when power will be restored. Looks like I'll have to have cable and phone repaired as well, but all in all I'm happy that we are all fine.

Please excuse all spelling and grammar issues as I've posted this from my iPhone. Have a wonderful weekend everyone.

1 comment:

  1. i just finally saw this. wow - spooky. so glad you gals are okay!
    love, noel.

    ReplyDelete