Thursday, March 3, 2011

Maggie May

In early 1998, Matt and I drove with our friends Ken and Kristi to Malvern to look at some puppies.  I had been checking the paper for weeks looking for a Yorkie puppy, but quickly realized that a $400 puppy wasn't really in our budget.  I had found an ad for Yorkie/ Shih Tzu mix puppies for $75, and was thrilled to learn that one of the little girls was tan and resembled the mom more than the others.  The puppies were born on January 5, 1998, and we met Maggie when she was about 8 weeks old.
Maggie, March 1998
She was a wonderful little puppy.  She didn't even mind being banned from furniture when MK was born, although she did go through a few stubborn periods where she would sneak onto the couch and refuse to leave when I found her.

Mk & Maggie's first snow.  Jan '00
When she was younger, she amazed me with how fast her little legs could run.  She developed an underbite that was quite noticeable to anyone that met her.  As she grew older, she lost a few teeth and developed arthritis in her back which slowed her down and caused her some discomfort when having to climb up the one or two steps into our back door.

Such a good sport.  She loved Mk, but not the trampoline
We found Maggie asleep in her box when we returned home from work last night.  We buried her last night.  She will be missed by us, but Sadie really seems to be lost without her.  I listened to her walk around the house without resting for several hours this morning.  She seems unsure what she should do without Maggie.  She is sleeping currently on their dog bed, but has kept to her side of the bed.  She seems to be waiting for Maggie, and it breaks my heart...... such a sweet puppy.

Sweet Sadie
It's amazing how much love we receive from our pets.  I lived with Maggie for 13 years.  Since leaving my parent's home for college, I have not shared a living space with anyone else for that length of time.  She was a wonderful companion.  I will remember her always, and am grateful for the years that we had together.

Maggie 1998- 2011

4 comments:

  1. She was such a sweet girl. And she was so lucky to go peacefully in her box. That is a blessing for anyone. Love you sis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maggie was one of the best dogs ever. Remember when I kept her for the weekend and I took her farming with me at Jim Reddin's? She got fleas from being out there in the country, but boy did she have a good time romping around in those rows of beans. And the last time I kept her and she put Pujols in his place over and over again. I will miss that sweet little face. I hope you and MK are doing alright. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a precious dog, that maggie! i remember when you got her and it was so sweet to look through these pictures. i actually teared up with this precious post. i'm so sorry for you, MK, and sadie girl. love you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Jill....reading your reflection makes me proud, you have such a tender heart, and so does your beautiful daughter....thanks for sharing your memories of Maggie, wonder dog. Love Dad

    ReplyDelete